Company Tradition and Development
The STR Praha s.r.o. company is the successor of the “STR – Středisko technického rozvoje” (the “Technical Development Centre”) centre, which was founded by the monopoly manufacturer of cans called “OBAL” in Czechoslovakia in 1967. The OBAL company manufactured tins for food and for technical substances, jar lids, decorative tins and aluminium tubes. From an originally wide range of designing and development activities, in the past 20 years our range of activities have narrowed and got specialized on conveyor systems and the handling of parts in can production. The narrow specialization leads to a high percentage of exportation of our products, since the Czech market is small. We directly export to all of our neighbouring Central European countries and to Russia. Our conveyor links, supplied to renowned German production lines suppliers, are then indirectly exported worldwide.
- Foundation of the Obal company’s Technical Development Centre for the purpose of developing and producing prototype machines for the manufacture of thin cans.
- The 70s
- Gradual extension of the centre by the development of electronic machine control. Since 1970, this was done under the specialized Strojobal company.
- 20 February – the STR Praha s.r.o. company is founded by its registration at the Commercial Court for Praha 1, Section C, Entry No. 7431.
- The beginning of collaboration with the HUBER Verpackungen company on the pressing of semi-finished products for general lines. STR Praha s.r.o. provides managing, technical and administrative services and also rents premises for this production.
- Based on a contract with the BASF Farben und Lacke (Container Coatings) company, STR Praha s.r.o. starts to provide business and technical services for the sale of tin can coatings and caps in the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- The collaboration with the HUBER Verpackungen company on the pressing of semi-finished products is ended.
- Due to acquisitions, the representation in the area of tin container coatings shifts from the BASF company to the PPG and HOBA companies.
- Production reorganization and reduction of the machining capacity in Prague. Greater specialization in components design and assembly and also in customer services. Component machining is contracted out to collaborating companies outside Prague.
- The introduction of a 3D system into product designing.
The representation of PPG in the area of coatings is ended due to a territorial reorganization of the PPG company.